We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
They say gardenias are very difficult to grow from seeds. Well, wait and see. But it is also believed that gardenia grown from seed is more adapted to home conditions. But even a purchased flower can be saved and admired its flowering, if you adhere to the rules of care. Let's go through the point by point, what gardenia care is needed at home.
Home gardenia care
Home gardenia is a lover of light and warmth. But if you put it in direct sunlight, it can shed leaves and buds. And in general, for the jasmine gardenia, you need to immediately select a permanent location. Since even abrupt changes in the position of the pot can cause flowers and even leaves to fall off.
Gardenia feels best on the windowsill of the east or west window. In winter, she needs additional lighting with fluorescent lamps. If there is not enough light, flowers may also fall off while still in bud.
In summer, you can take your gardenia out into the fresh air, including on the balcony. But you need to make sure that it does not stand in a draft, and there is no hypothermia of the plant and especially its root system.
I have already mentioned that the jasmine gardenia is a thermophilic plant. In more detail, the minimum temperature in winter is 16-20 ° C. In principle, this is generally the optimal temperature for winter. Indeed, if the gardenia is hotter in winter (above 22 ° C), then it will not lay flower buds.
And at temperatures below 16-18 ° C, the flower can be hypothermic and the roots rot. Therefore, you must provide the so-called mild temperature for the jasmine gardenia.
Watering the gardenia
Humidity for a gardenia at home is the basis of its strength and beauty. In no case should the earthen coma dry out. The soil should always be slightly damp. But at the same time, he must pass air well to the roots. Therefore, it is recommended to use light soil for growing gardenia jasmine, like for Azaleas.
During the period of growth, as well as budding, increased air humidity is also important for gardenia. It can be provided with a humidifier or vessels with water placed near the flower. Alternatively, initially put the gardenia in a sufficiently wide tray from which moisture will evaporate.
And of course, a must for gardenia spraying. Both for irrigation and for spraying, you can use only warm, settled water.
As mentioned above, Azalea soil is often used to plant gardenia. It has a fairly high acidity.
For feeding, fertilizers are used that increase the acidity of the soil. This helps to make changes in the acid-base balance of the soil if it is not acidic enough.
Fertilizer should be diluted in a proportion of 20 g per 10 liters of water.
Pruning, transplanting, reproduction
Gardenia needs sanitary pruning after flowering. It is necessary to remove all cuttings with faded flowers, diseased or weak leafy cuttings. In the process, you can also cut 2-3 healthy cuttings and root them.
It is best to propagate jasmine gardenia by cuttings that have a semi-lignified shape. This should be done in the spring or early fall. The principle is simple: we root the cut stalk directly into the ground. We cover it with a glass jar - this is how we arrange a greenhouse. We transplant the slightly grown and rooted stalk into a permanent pot. And after it adapts, we pinch the top of the cuttings - this is necessary for the plant to bush.
If your gardenia jasmine has been growing for several years, then it would not hurt to transplant it. For this we take leafy soil, turf, coniferous soil, peat and sand. The pot should not be much larger than the previous one. Otherwise, the plant will spend a lot of energy on rooting.
Diseases of gardenia
Falling buds. Of course, this is not a disease, but a problem that worries most flower growers. And the buds of the wrong content fall off during the dormant period. So for laying flower buds, a temperature of 18-20, or even lower, is needed.
Insects also "love" this plant. The most dangerous pests are spider mites, scale insects and mealybugs. To protect yourself from these misfortunes, the plant needs to be sprayed frequently.
- Read the topic on Wikipedia
- Features and other plants of the family Madder
- List of all species on The Plant List
- More information on World Flora Online
- Indoor Plants Information
Sections: Houseplants Beautiful flowering Plants on G Madder
Gardenia is a tropical plant that does not have a very good reputation for being grown at home. She is considered capricious and requires a special approach to herself. But among its many species, there is at least one that can be grown as a houseplant - this is gardenia jasmine... For this plant, you will only need to create favorable conditions, follow all the rules of care and you can achieve your goal in growing it.
If we consider the whole genus, then the total number of its species is about 250. Ornamental are especially popular in indoor floriculture.
The advantage of the jasmine gardenia is that it adapts very easily to keeping it indoors. The most popular varieties can be identified.
- Golden Magic... This variety is especially loved by breeders for the fact that it blooms for a long time and pleases with its aroma for several months.
- "Fortune". The flowers of this variety are large, they reach 10 centimeters, although this is not a favorite.
- "Variegata". This gardenia grows up to a meter in height, on the leaves of the distinctive characteristics of a white pattern, which from the side resembles marble. The flowers are double, exude an amazing aroma and reach a diameter of 8 centimeters. The variety in question takes root ideally in indoor conditions.
- "The first love"... It will delight you with flowering in early spring, cream flowers appear on top of a dense dark green crown.
- "Radikans". The width of the bush of this plant reaches one and a half meters, the height can be up to a meter. The leaves are formed as small, like the flowers, which can be a maximum of 4 centimeters in diameter, and are covered with terry at the edges.
- Belmont. A distinctive feature of this variety is the large ovoid leaves. The buds bloom and delight with flowers with a diameter of 10 centimeters. Growers love this gardenia for its increased resistance to sudden drops in ambient temperature and disease.
- "Amy"... A variety that exhibits not only large flowers, but can bloom 2 times a year.
- Mystery. The height of the bushes of the described gardenia can reach 2 meters, while the flowers are 14 centimeters in diameter, flowering is repeated twice.
The gardenia feels very comfortable on the windowsills, the windows of which are on the east and west sides. If a direct stream of sunlight hits the leaves, the flower should be set aside from the window. At the time when buds appear on the plant, it is forbidden to move the pot.
In winter, the jasmine gardenia requires additional lighting. In the summer season, the plant benefits from fresh air in a shaded place, safe from straight rays of the sun, drafts and precipitation.
Gardenia jasmine is very sensitive to temperature extremes. The most suitable temperature for setting buds is indicated in the range of 18-20 ° C. It should be remembered that cold soil is dangerous for the roots of the plant.
When the temperature is high in summer, do not expect wild flowering. From the heat, the buds dry up and fall off. When airing the room in winter, it is necessary to remove the flower from the draft. You also need to protect the root system from hypothermia. During severe frosts, you can put styrofoam under the pot.
Secrets of the success of growing jasmine gardenia
- It is necessary to remove wilted flowers in order to release strength for future young shoots.
- Water and humidify the air regularly to prevent buds and leaves from falling off.
- Maintain a constant temperature so that the leaves do not turn yellow or fall off.
- Lack of flowers, slow growth, pale leaves - an urgent need to feed the gardenia.
- The appearance of yellow streaks on the leaves signals that it is necessary to acidify the soil.
- For decorative purposes, it is advisable to use a special polish for flowers.
- During flowering and bud formation, it is not advisable to move the flower pot.
- You need to water at the root so that the water does not get on the flower petals.
- In the absence of buds, provide the plant with additional lighting and arrange a steam bath for it - they take a full bath of hot water and put the plant near it for several hours. The procedure is repeated once a week until the buds appear.
- If the buds do not open, you can pour warm water.
Conditions of detention and basic rules of care
Gardenia jasmine indoor is a capricious plant. Taking care of it at home is not that easy, so buying a gardenia should be well thought out and prepared. This jasmine flower does not tolerate dry air, overflow or underflow, sudden changes in temperature and drafts. Also, it is necessary to apply the correct fertilizers during the growing season. The soil needs to be acidic to allow the absorption of certain nutrients.
From time to time, the plant needs pruning. If you violate the rules of care, gardenia like jasmine will not bloom or die. To prevent this from happening, the plant must provide the following conditions.
Gardenia jasmine loves light, but not direct sunlight, which can burn it. It is best to place the pot on the southwest, east, or west window. In winter, you can rearrange the flower on the south window, but very carefully, since the jasminoidis does not like any movement and a sharp change in lighting.
The jasmine-type gardenia feels best at a temperature of 22 degrees Celsius, fluctuations from 16 degrees at night to 24 degrees during the day are permissible. The plant is very sensitive to drafts and hypothermia of the roots. In summer, it should not be kept on the balcony, and in winter on a cold windowsill. It is best to put the pot on polystyrene or on a pallet with expanded clay.
Caring for jasmine gardenia involves maintaining high humidity. This is done in two ways.
- The pot is placed on a pallet with water or expanded clay. By evaporating, the water maintains proper moisture. Using this method, you need to carefully monitor that excess moisture does not damage the roots of the plant.
- Spraying, which is carried out from one to three times a day (depending on the season). You need to spray not the plant itself, but the air around it. When large drops of water fall directly on leaves or flowers, they may turn yellow or brown spots. Because of this, the buds often fall off.
It is necessary to water the plant as the top layer of the soil dries up, always from above, since only in this way can the maximum dissolution of mineral substances necessary for gardenia be achieved. The ground should not be wet, only slightly damp. Water is used boiled or settled, at room temperature.
Once for 3-5 waterings, the water must be acidified: for this, two or three drops of lemon juice are added to one liter of water.
A gardenia flower such as jasmine loves acidic soil, with a pH of no more than 5. Land intended for growing azaleas or roses is best suited. You can add a little sand and peat to it. Too much acidification of the soil is also dangerous, as this can damage the root system.
Top dressing should be done in spring and summer. To do this, use a liquid fertilizer for flowering indoor plants. The following condition must be observed: you need to dilute it with twice as much water as written in the instructions. The basis of the fertilizer should be potassium and phosphorus, it should not contain calcium, which reduces the acidity of the soil. It is also recommended to periodically make a top dressing containing iron chelate.
Gardenia grows well in a pot
Jasmine gardenia, if properly cared for, can live for several years. It blooms for a long time, until the air temperature at night drops below 16 degrees.
The flower of the gardenia jasmine blooms from a small bud and sometimes reaches a diameter of ten centimeters. At first it is white, then it can acquire a yellow or cream shade. Huge white buds in the middle of bright green leaves look great in photos and videos. The bloom is accompanied by a strong pleasant aroma reminiscent of the scent of jasmine.